Thank you for being interested in joining Covenant. Church membership is an important part of church life.
Membership is open to believers and their children.
- Communing members: "Communing members are those who have made a profession of faith in Christ, have been baptized, and have been admitted by the Session to the Lord's Table" (Book of Church Order 6-2). Each prospective member must assent to the five membership vows listed below.
- Non-communing members: "The children of believers are, through the covenant and by right of birth, non-communing members of the church. Hence they are entitled to Baptism, and to the pastoral oversight, instruction and government of the church, with a view to their embracing Christ and thus possessing personally all benefits of the covenant" (Book of Church Order (6-1).
Membership Vows (Book of Church Order 57-5)
- Do you acknowledge yourselves to be sinners in the sight of God, justly deserving His displeasure, and without hope save in His sovereign mercy?
- Do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God, and Savior of sinners, and do you receive and rest upon Him alone for salvation as He is offered in the Gospel?
- Do you now resolve and promise, in humble reliance upon the grace of the Holy Spirit, that you will endeavor to live as becomes the followers of Christ?
- Do you promise to support the Church in its worship and work to the best of your ability?
- Do you submit yourselves to the government and discipline of the Church, and promise to study its purity and peace?
The process for becoming a communing member is laid out for you in the following documents
- PCA Member Candidates: For those who are seeking membership and are already members of a PCA congregation.
- Non-PCA Member Candidates: For those who are seeking membership and are not members of a PCA congregation.
Often parents ask about their children being ready to publically profess faith in Christ. We offer the Communicant's Class to prepare children who are determined ready to make a public profession to prepare them to meet with the Session for communing membership.